Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Gold Bar- Tellers

What better way to spend an early Monday afternoon than at the bar with wine and good food? Tellers, an American chophouse in the heart of Islip, is open seven days for dinner and weekdays for lunch. The sleek and modern restaurant is home to plump leather chairs, white linen tables and elegant glassware.

To the left of the main entrance is the Gold Bar, complete with a long bar and a few tables toward the rear. I took a seat on a leather covered stool and ordered a glass of Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon. Light, dry and fruit forward, it was the perfect wine to accompany an array of dishes.

When I opened the bar menu, my eye gravitated toward the word "bacon." I love bacon. I really, really love bacon. Therefore, I just had to order the black pepper bacon, thick cut and house cured with sweet and spicy horseradish glaze. The dish was very similar to pork belly in taste and consistency - very good all around. The only thing I was a little surprised by was that the sauce had been changed and was a barbecue sauce for that day. I am not a huge fan of barbecue sauce, but this wasn't so bad.

It was also suggested that I try a side of the macaroni and cheese from the regular lunch menu. This "side" dish was larger than some entrees I have had at other restaurants, and it was priced at just $9. It was a tasty shock indeed. The mac was ooey gooey with a nice crisped top. I mixed some of the bacon and barbecue sauce in there to give it a little kick. Not bad I must say.


I would love to visit Tellers again in the future, perhaps on Meetpacking Thursdays where the restaurant and its neighboring sister, Verace, become one for a night of dancing, drinking and cigar rolling. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment