Friday, November 29, 2013

RVA Dine: Richmond Cuisine Meets New York


Richmond as a city is unknown to me. The only time I had even been in Virginia was passing through on my way moving to New Orleans. It's nothing personal, I am open to any place that has delicious food, wine, and beer. Lucky for me, I got to experience the rich and vast culinary scene of Richmond right in New York.

On November 15 I attended a dinner in NYC for Richmond Region Tourism, featuring three talented chefs and a brewer visiting from Richmond to showcase the best of what their city has to offer. My fellow diners and I sat in the kitchen with the guys while they prepped each dish and introduced us to what for me was a new culinary adventure and rich history of one of our founding states.

We were first presented with a colorful charcuterie board of house-cured meats, pickled vegetables, homemade mustards, jams, and crostini. The board was almost too beautiful to eat, but I got over that right away. Prepared by Chef Joe Sparatta of Heritage, this was the perfect start to an evening of indulgence and imbibing.



Our second dish was a roasted sea scallop with cranberry and Brussels sprouts. I must say I don't think I have ever enjoyed Brussels sprout this much. For that, I thank you Chef Lee Gregory. His restaurant, The Roosevelt, is located in Richmond's oldest neighborhood, Church Hill. Chef Gregory also prepared the third dish called Duck Brunswick Stew. The first ingredient listed is foie gras and my mouth watered at just that. What a treat to savor!

Pasture
's Chef Jason Alley whipped up rice grits with pickled and fresh Virginia mushrooms, house-cured ham and "city garden" herb salad. Paired with Hardywood Farmhouse Pumpkin beer, this dish made me feel like I was back in the South enjoying a hearty home cooked meal with friends. It had that unmistakable warm, cozy feeling you can't get anywhere else.



Bacon and eggs were served for dessert by Chef Sparatta. Not your typical "breakfast," a delicate egg shell filled with layered custard and a side of maple bacon served as a sweet and savory finish to an evening of eating and imbibing. All of the chefs were passionate and personable, making each bite that much more enjoyable. A special thanks must be paid to Hardywood Park Craft Brewery for providing the array of craft beers paired with each course.


Well Richmond, you came to New York and conquered. I now have the overwhelming desire to visit your city full of not only history, but culinary genius which needs to be explored.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had the chance to encounter some of our top culinary talent. And they are not alone. We have craft brewers, superb local coffee roasters and bakers galore. Grab a train and come visit the next food Capitol of the region.

    ReplyDelete